Sunday, March 1, 2009

Fresh, organic eggs? You've gotta be kidding!


I always thought that fresh organic eggs were a great idea but come on, who would want to keep their own chickens anyway?! Don't they smell?

How wrong could I be! While attending the Sustainability Conference in town in November, I noticed a few of these really cool Silkie chickens hanging out with a guy, "Just Tom*" (no, really, that's his name). They were for sale and I knew I had to have these fluffballs. I figured my dream of having eggs whenever I wanted could really be a reality.

So, I went about building my two hens, Lily and Daisy, a little cottage-style "coop," which was quite an endeavor. If you're interested in checking out my coop construction page, it's here.

If you're interested in raising your own chickens for eggs or for meat, the Backyard Chickens Forum is a great resource that covers just about every aspect of raising chickens. They boast over 22,000 members and I swear, there are people there that can answer just about any question you may have. So even if you're a beginner like me, you won't feel like you're going it alone. Also, the Backyard Chicken website has construction pages of over 150 small to large chicken coops, if you want some ideas to build your own.

*Email me if you want Just Tom's contact info.

No comments:

Post a Comment